Feature Friday: Sweet Sugar Skull Makeup Tutorial
I am thrilled to kick off our Halloween posts by introducing you to my incredibly talented niece, Grace Thueson. I asked her to create a tutorial for you for simple sugar skull makeup for your Day of the Dead party or Halloween costume.
She used her beautiful sister as a model and breaks it down into easy steps that ALL of us can follow. People hire Grace as a makeup artist, and did I mention that she's 15 years old! I'm so blown away with with her talent.
Affiliate links are provided for your shopping convenience. By clicking and purchasing, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure page for any questions. Thanks for being here so we can continue providing awesome party ideas that make lives better!
Sugar Skull Makeup Supply List
- White Base: NYX jumbo eye pencil in “milk” OR Mehron Clown White Professional Makeup
- Pink & Blue Eyes & Petals: UnityStar Body & Face Paint – 14 assorted colors
- Black eyeshadow: L'Oreal Paris Infallible, 24Hr Black Shadow
- Blue Outline: NYX Sunrise Blue Makeup Pencil
- Black Details: NYX Black Sparkle Makeup Pencil
- Hot Pink Lipstick: BH Color Lock Long Lasting Matte Lipstick, Loyal
- Rhinestone Accessories: Clear Crystal Bindi Stickers
Sugar Skull Makeup Tutorial
Step 1: Base
Apply a white cream face paint all over your face, I used the NYX jumbo eye pencil in “milk” and blended it out with a dense brush.
Step 2: Eyes
Use pink eyeshadow or cream paint to create two circles around the eyes with a small brush and fill it in with the same pink. Add black eyeshadow on the lid for depth and dimension. Then use a light blue paint the add a half circle border all around the pink circles you created.
Step 3: Petals & Outline
Use a dark blue makeup pencil to outline the half circles and the big circle around your eyes. Then use a hot pink paint to add three flower petals on the chin and several on the forehead, and outline them in dark blue or black pencil again.
Apply hot pink lipstick and draw one with a black pencil line extending from each side of your mouth, then add vertical lines across them and your lips to create a skull-like mouth. Add an upside down heart for the skull nose, rhinestones at the tips of the flower petals, and you're done!!
Ready to go
Now that you're ready for the party have a great time! I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial. We'll be having Grace back soon with a “wound” tutorial for a more gory Halloween option for all you Walking Dead zombie lovers out there! For more great Halloween makeup tips check out Grace's Instagram feed at Amazing_Grace_Makeup and give her a follow! I told you she was talented!
Additional Day of the Dead Resources:
- Day of the Dead Party Resources
- Day of the Dead Coco Inspired Party
- Day of the Dead Holiday Wreath Transformation
- Day of the Dead Non-Alcoholic Sangria Recipe
Until next time,